A personal assistant, also referred to as personal aide (PA) or personal secretary (PS), is a job title describing a person who assists a specific person with their daily business or personal tasks.
The post of personal assistant to the director aims at supporting the director in all relevant administrative and management matters. The purpose is to ensure that the director’s agenda of work is well planned and executed. The director’s personal assistant is an important and visible person within the company and has also a key role in external contacts.
The primary responsibility is to carry out tasks to support the director’s agenda quickly, creatively and precisely. For this to be possible, along with displaying the requisite technical proficiency, the director’s personal assistant maintains good and smooth working relations with all staff. The director’s PA is also responsible for administrative matters in support of the Governing Board.
The main responsibilities of the personal assistant are to:
- Manage the director’s agenda;
- Support the director in his correspondence;
- Plan and follow-up issues relating to the director’s agenda and on occasion engage in the implementation of the director’s decisions and initiatives;
- Act as secretary to the senior management team;
- Handle administrative matters related to the board of directors and its members and assist the governing board chair as appropriate.
The personal assistant has excellent technical skills and relates well with colleagues. S/he handles ‘high-level’ and mundane tasks with equal aplomb, takes direction well, shows initiative when needed, both grasps the big picture and gets the details right, is good at planning and comfortable multitasking. #pugassist